The Personal Web of the 1990s/early 2000s was the first wave of online diarists and bloggers who use the web as a platform to chronicle and share our daily lives. WordPress came out of this movement, and is now in its second decade.
2017 marks 20 years that I’ve been using the web to create and archive memories, and 12 years that I’ve been doing it with WordPress. I’ve learned a few things about creating a real and permanent record of my life on the ephemeral digital landscape, and together we’ll discuss how to use WordPress to create your own home on the web, covering topics such as how to maintain your (and your family’s) privacy, using WordPress to build a keepsake repository your friends and family can contribute to, and how to ensure that these digital spaces are available as a legacy for lifetimes to come.
Links to resources from my talk:
- Post by email address (Jetpack) (https://jetpack.com/support/post-by-email/)
- Use phone apps for workflow automation that post to WordPress for you when you take a photo, record an audio snippet, or record a video. This requires Jetpack! (Workflow for iOS | Automate for Android)
- Plugins that import from Facebook are always being knocked out of date by changes to the permissions on Facebook’s APIs. This plugin from the WordPress repo is the latest I’ve found that works for importing Facebook statuses and Tweets as posts: https://wordpress.org/plugins/social2blog/
- This content marketing plugin from Envato: https://codecanyon.net/item/wordpress-automatic-plugin/1904470
is another to grab statuses from a personal profile and save them to a post in WordPress. Also works with Twitter and any scrape-able website.
- Post Instagram photos to WordPress – https://ifttt.com/applets/XtwWPrki-post-your-instagram-photos-to-wordpress
- Publish your new videos as WordPress posts – https://ifttt.com/applets/xNyHz8gp-publish-your-new-videos-as-wordpress-posts
- When I post a new status on Facebook, publish it as a WordPress post – https://ifttt.com/applets/17171p-when-i-post-a-status-to-facebook-publish-it-on-wordpress
- Sending a Tweet with a certain hashtag automatically creates a new post on your blog – https://ifttt.com/applets/142695p-sending-a-new-tweet-with-a-certain-hashtag-creates-a-post-on-your-wordpress-blog
- Instagram hashtags published to WordPress categories – https://ifttt.com/applets/54003p-instagram-tag-to-wordpress-category-as-photo-post